Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Bull adventures part II

Today's adventure with the bulls lacked yesterday's excitement.

Correction: I'm not actually playing with bulls. There are three cows, but they are vicious looking!

Our unwritten, non-hand shaken contract for terms on the place that is "home" this month stipulates a 10 hours work week. By this morning only 1.5 hours remained to meet the week's requirement. As such, elation ruled the morning and we walked out the sliding screen door smiling hugely. Right outside the door ML crouched and neatened the edging around the ohana. They have paying guests arriving in a couple of days and she asked us to make everything around the ohana neat and tidy and pretty. And oh, she had to leave for an appointment right then. Oh easy day! The C got to edging and I lopped dead or dying or slightly faded branches and leaves from hapu'u ferns, ti plant, palm trees, banana trees and assorted other plants whose names I don't know and/or have forgotten. And maybe in the process I ganked a couple of papayas and avocados. All trimmings but the last became fodder for the cows.  

As the hour .5 wound down, a lightheaded giddy feeling usurped my brain. With rake in one hand and a load of palm fronds in the other I neared the wall between me and the cows. After throwing them more food I delayed a return trip for more cuttings to get a better look at these creatures.

My back sprouted an itch. Forgetting my scratching hand held a rake I moved to attack the itch and bopped myself in the forehead. For some reason my brain's focus moved from relieving my own itch, to thinking that the cows could use a good scratching, and wouldn't a rake be just the thing? Look at them! Covered in flies, plants hanging half-chewed from their jaws, malice in their beady eyes. How could they not like my idea? In my defense, the rake was one of the chunky plastic dealies, not a rock rake or a metal tine-y one.

Their heads lowered to the newest offerings. I quietly crept closed, stepping over dried out monstera fronds and fallen bread fruit. Once I made it to the wall the silliness of my stealth became obvious-the fresh greenery captured all their attention. So I leaned out and began scratching the neck of the nearest. The tines touched her back, she squalled and bucked and knocked the rake out of my hand. She stared at it. Then at me. And back at the rake. Her right fore-hoof lifted and she once more looked at me. Eye contact did not break, but the rake snapped as she stamped down.

"Chuff!" And she resumed eating. The other two ate the rake head. All three gave me the stink eye and sauntered off. I called it a day and had a Corona. I guess we all win.

No comments:

Post a Comment